Team Up With Other Folks…

Okay… I’ve been ranting on about building up your long-term pantry supplies for a long time now. I got the guidance shortly after Obama got sworn in in 2008, and began executing my guidance slowly.

I have two raised garden beds, and have been sneaking food items in anywhere they will grow. Granted, I’m still in the experimental phase of becoming a farmer. At least I’ve got lettuce, zucchini, some beans and some peppers and herbs working. Still figuring out the collard and mustard greens.

My husband and I have also undertaken a campaign to make sure that all guns in the house actually work. We had to take a vintage target .22 to a gunsmith for professional cleaning, but we got a really good little target pistol out of it. We got out the inherited WWII M1 Carbine and inspected it… just needed to clean out the dust, then get some fresh ammo and a couple more magazines.

Since I’m stocking up for a household of two humans and four cats, I’ve found that sometimes buying bulk is a little too expensive or too big for any one purchase. I’ve got a friend that has another friend, and we three go in together on various items. He’s ordering a carton of the powdered whole eggs from Honeyville Grains, http://www.honeyvillegrain.com , and we’re splitting it three ways. That way, we get the #10 cans of egg powder, for long-time storage,  for about $15 each, thereby saving a couple dollars on each can and saving on shipping.

We’ve also gone in together on a 35 Lb. bag of dried onion flakes. Have you any idea how big a 35 Lb. bag of onion flakes is? It’s a bloody futon!  Between the three of us, we can split that down, suck-wrap it into manageable portions, and have what we desire in the larder.  Most recipes need onions and garlic to taste like much of anything. In fact, most of the recipes I know start with “first you get you a big-ol’ yella onion…”

Talk to your friends and neighbors… get them on the same page and get them into the concept of preparing for some major hiccups in the economy and whatever else, then get them on the bandwagon regarding stocking up. If you’re in the north, you know that you could be snowed in, thereby dependent on your stored food. I’m here in the south, and I’ve been dependent on my stored food for a couple of weeks at a time because of hurricanes. Believe me, being able to whip up a clean casserole out of some rice, canned veggies and a 12 Oz. can of turkey meat is a blessing when the rest of the world is standing in line at an empty grocery store. I’ve found that working from bulk purchases also saves money on groceries in the long term.

To add further emphasis, we know that at the time of the Great Depression, some 90% of all U.S. citizens were rural and mostly self-sufficient, yet we lost some 17 million people to starvation out of a total population of 122,775,046 in 1930.  Check my math, but it looks like we lost 1/7th of our population during the Great Depression!  Since they led us to war to pull us out of the Depression, we know that somewhere between 30 and 45 million soldiers died in WWII, and there is no way to know an exact number for sure.  So we really lost perhaps 62 million people as a result?  Holy catz!

NOW we’re down to perhaps 11% rural, and maybe half of those are self-sufficient, meaning that the other 89% are urban.  Does that mean that out of 309 million, we’re going to lose 1/7th of our population to starvation, or more,  when things finally domino? We know that FEMA has camps set up all over the U.S., ready to take in millions of people. What do you think that would be like?  How many people would just plain disappear if they went into FEMA camps?  No… better to plan ahead and be able to feed your family. It is easier to cycle food through your pantry than to buy it for any price at times of peak demand and panic buying with worthless currency.

__________________________________________

Rev. Suzanne Powell manufactures and markets a full line of line of natural stone “medicine jewelry”, subtle energy tools, pendulums, angel and fairy art and “spiritual soap” through her website, http://www.turtleisland.cc   She also offers an e-book, “Fat-Free Spirituality” which is packed with advanced spiritual knowledge.

This entry was posted in Preachin', Reference, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.